Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wardrobe Woes

Tuesday I took the boys to be screened for Kindergarten Readiness [school speak for super-preK].
They were lucky enough to be screened by the teacher they'll start school with next week in the classroom they'll be in all year long.

They went in shy and a little apprehensive, and came out talkative and completely excited, visibly jazzed about the prospects of higher education.

As I signed the last few official pieces of paperwork, their teacher began to quiz me on how to tell them apart from each other. I gave her the usual rundown, "Hayden's face is long, Cash's is round, Hayden has a cowlick, Cash has a birthmark" while assuring her that before long she'll have no problem telling them apart, unless, of course, she's standing behind them.

She laughed, and then went on to express her gratitude that I did not dress them alike.

And then it hit me, all at once, like an overstuffed backpack landing on my head as I creaked open the imaginary locker door of my doomed reality.

My kids are about to start school 5 days a week, 6 hours a day.

Its going to be emotional. Our lives our going to change. And yes, I'm going to miss them. Of course I'm going to miss them. I'll miss them just like I'd miss my arms if they left me all day long to become smarter then they ever would staying at home attached to my shoulders.

But, OMG. What I'm really freaking out about?

I'm going to have to dress them.

Differently.

Every day of the week.

I'm going to actually have to use my brain when I walk into the closet.

I'm going to have treat my kids like the actual individuals they are, and dress them as if they were separate entities, instead of some adorable little freak show.

I'm going to have to like, plan ahead or something.

All this on top of getting them up unfortunately early AND making sure they're fed. And let's not even get started on that whole "Be on time, when on time is 7:30 AAAAAAAMMMMMMM" thing.

Woe. Is. Me.

Where's a uniform when I need one?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta admit I do love the uniforms.... but sadly, just Charlotte's school wears them, Madi's has a 'dress code', but it's not the same. Although of course I don't have to actually DRESS Madi, so the decisions are all hers. I just give her the once-over every now and then, and tell her to pull her shirt up in the front.
I don't know where she gets that.

emily the mom said...

I know! I wore one 12 years straight and some days I STILL miss it...the stapled hem, the stench from only being washed every few weeks...ah, those were the days

Dusty Brown said...

Oh, Em! Can they eat breakfast at school? LOL!! Thank God we live very close to our school and my hubs will drop Miles off. I am soooo not a morning person.

Tough mama said...

I'm right there with you! Ollie starts the same time. Think of all the free time! The bon-bons, the soaps, the freakin' PTA!

Anonymous said...

fed and out the door at 7:15 for us!!--I am so with you on the stress of that!
Thanks for your email.
Love, katy