Saturday, June 14, 2008

Belated Regards

I spent some of the past Saturday night watching old interviews between Tom Brokaw and Tim Russert (thats right. go ahead, be jealous of me and my social calendar). It was nothing short of awe-inspiring listening to him speak of his father and his father's generation, and the respect and love he had for his dad.

And as I sat there on the couch, I just couldn't shake the guilt that all I wrote in my Dad's father's day card was something to the effect of "We hope you have a great day". I didn't even scribble an 'I love you' in there. But in my defense there certainly wasn't any room for it, I'd let my children cover the rest of the card with their dynamic artwork. Because nothing says I love you like concentric circles with legs and arms. And a pom-pom with googly eyes glued in for good measure.

How could I be so insensitive? Snubbing this man who took us to the symphony, to countless rock concerts and baseball games, and on wild road trips across the country? The only man I've ever know who could make cheese on a suit look better than a boutineer? The grandfather who my children adore - nothing brings me a greater joy than watching them countdown the Apollo 13 launch with you for the 5000th time, even though I may looked pissed that its midnight and my children are still awake. And of course, nobody can make eating and entire pot of spaghetti (and then spilling the boiling water on your foot) look good they way you do.

Oh, Dad. You are unique, there is no one out there quite like you (except for Aaron, maybe) I love you and wouldn't be me without you. As the boys would say, others should be 'genuis' of you.

What's even worse than this father's day fiasco is that I'm still working on my mom's mother's day present. A gift she had said was the only thing she wanted for mothers day. So while I'm at, Mom, I love you too. I really do. I may often sound annoyed or irritated but I am listening. And contrary to popular belief, I do follow your advice.

Let's see - who else have I neglected?

To my kids, I may have freaked when destroyed your room yesterday when you were uh, 'working', I still miss you each night when you go to bed and live for that moment each morning when you run down the stairs and jump on the couch with me.

To my in-laws, Yes! Its true, I really do love you guys, and regardless of what face I might be making, I don't think you're nuts (most of the time...).

To my husband, you know I love you, I'm still married to you aren't I?

To my sisters, you can overfeed my children full of crap anyday, I'll always think you are truly awesome.

To my friends, you like me! You really like me!

To my third grade teacher, thanks for letting us listen to the radio during art class...

To the gas station attendant from 2 weeks ago...............

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't just like you... I love you. You're my favorite friend, just don't tell the others. :)

Happy Dad's day to your dad and Aaron both! They are some of the collest guys I've ever met.

Anonymous said...

Hey Em it's Andrea!
Em that was really touching...great blog! Made me want to call my parents and tell them how much I love and adore them. See you tommorrow night sista! Love ya!

somedaymama said...

i would also like to thank miss bushelmen for letting us listen to music during art class.

and you are right, no one does a one-legged one-eyed pirate like your dad.

i am not sure my dad knows what a mosh pit is...and your dad went surfing at bogarts.

face it, you are wonderful, and it is hard to thank people for everything all the time.