Friday, April 18, 2008

Thirty's in the Mix

My dearest Aaron turns thirty tomorrow.



Which is kind of weird, because I think I've known him since we were at least 20.

Where did those last 10 years go? I can tell you, marriage, births, first jobs, countless album releases, and concerts, lots of concerts.

Every day living with Aaron is better than the last. And everyday his beard gets a little longer.

So how does a wife best honor her husband on his 30th birthday?

With a MIXTAPE of course!

It goes something like this:

Dancin' Fool -Frank Zappa
Because I realized I'd married my father when I found out you liked him, because I'll never forget the time I came home to you and the boys dancing to this, and in honor of the next Hartley offspring and/or dog.

Your Favorite Thing - Sugar
Even though this song was probably written about a guy, I think it fits us perfectly.

One Cup of Coffee - Bob Marley
this song has everything to do with our coffee consumption and nothing to do with the actual lyrics.

Porpoise Song - The Monkees
This song is the theme from 'Head', one of the greatest movies I've ever seen, and it perfectly sums up our love of watching weird movies.

Thor Is Like Immortal- The F**king Champs
Metal will never die.

Nitmare Hippy Girl - Beck
Self-concious and a little bit moody? Me in a nutshell, minus the flaky skin. And he still puts up with me.

Don't Take Your Guns To Town - Johnny Cash
This is for Cash. Not exactly a song you'd want dedicated to you, but 1) its hard to single out a Johnny Cash song and 2) it can inadvertantly being interpreted as being about parenting.

Greatest of All Time - Archers of Loaf
One of my all time favorite songs, which I would have never have found without you. I'd probably still be trying to bring back Lillith Fair.

You're No Rock N' Roll Fun - Sleater Kinney
Because I hated it when you first started listening to them. And then I was converted, and I thank you.

Drive My Car - The Beatles
Needs no explanation exceot that is quietly marks another important occasion other than your birthday.

Driveway - Hayden
Because there's one song on here for Hayden and one for Cash. Plus, I figured a song about stuffing rocks up someones nose was appropriate for them.

Livin' in the Future - Bruce Springsteen
BECAUSE WE'LL BE SEEING HIM IN CONCERT NEXT WEEK. Next week!!!!! I've gotta start channeling Courtney Cox.
(technical note: was too fancy for muxtape.....)

Happy 30th, babes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

reading this blog confirms I am actually as awesome as I think.

Unknown said...

happy birthday, aaron. for your 30th, you have... an amazing wife and a couple of neat kids. lucky dude, ain't ya?