Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Oh That's Right, I Have TWO Kids.

Sometimes I forget I have twins. Sounds crazy I know, how could I possibly forget those two? After all, they are kind of hard to miss.

I've never known what it was like to have just one child. Its always been more than one, right from the beginning. There's always been two of everything. Two cribs, two baby seats, two highchairs, double the clothes...It was hard at first (I think? I don't really remember...) but eventually it just becomes the norm. Even if the norm teeters on the verge of total chaos.

So, how do I best describe this? I of course realize my children are two separate individuals, and I treat them that way as well, but because 2-at-a-time is the way its always been, I tend to think of them in the broader sense as one entity. As most of my friends are having their second child, I sometimes think to myself, "Hmmm, am I ready for another?" And then I remember - Oh wait, I already had my second child - he just happened to come one minute after the first.

I wouldn't have it any other way either. Having twins has been the ride of my life and I know it will only get better at every turn.

But there is one time, one glaringly obvious time, when the, um, true joy, of having two at the same age really comes into play.
It one of those times when the planets align just right, the wind comes to a halt and two tiny, but forceful auras crash together at full speed. Otherwise know as a full-fledged double temper tantrum.

Oh sweet Lord in heaven, the double tantrums.

Remember that part in Princess Bride when Wesley is in the pit of despair having the life sucked out of him by the medieval torture machine? Yeah. That's kind of what it's like. You're being pulled in every direction, years are being taken off your life by the minute, you can't tell which way is up, and the pain (from the screaming of course) is only a sliver away from unbearable.

We had one such moment just yesterday. I'm not quite even sure what started it - something to do with spiders? It was a classic moment really, screaming, snot running, arms flailing, legs kicking, hitting, and the best part?

It was at somebody else's house.

No, we couldn't just throw the tantrum to end all tantrums within our house. No way, Mom! It just had to be at someone else's place, and hey, while we're at it, why not just do it in the backyard? We already have a small auidence, might as well get the whole neighborhood involved.

Yes, it was definitely one of those moments when you feel like tossing motherhood to the very top of the 'things I never want to do ever again' list. I had the towel and I was ready to throw it in. The whole thing may have only lasted 10 minutes, but every parent knows, it felt like ten hours. Thankfully, life does go on, my children do behave (sometimes) and I did survive, and someday, in that sick, sweet, motherly way, I'll probably miss it.

No comments: