Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pajama Party

The boys had a pajama party at school today, celebrating the letter P. There were pretzels, pizza, popcorn, pie, and even a chocolate peanut butter penguin (which I so wanted) present.

But true to their nature my kids refused to wear pajamas. After all, they often balk at the idea of having jammies on past 10 am (Mom! We NEED to get dressed!) , so I can't say I was surprised to find they didn't want to wear them anywhere past the front door.

I tried a few times to get them to try and pick a pair of jammies they might want to show off, but they weren't having it. We finally just settled on a under-roos style Spiderman shirt and sweatpants. I completely forgot all about the prospect of wearing slippers to complete the 'jammie' look (and how could I, we have like 6 pairs...) until I walked them into the classroom, only to find another child sitting at the table muttering about how my kids weren't wearing ' house shoes' .

Witnessing this, I had to giggle, because a) even after 10+ years of living in the south I still haven't gotten used to the term 'house shoes' instead of slippers, especially from the vocabulary of another 4 year old and b) because I'm not exaggerating about the muttering. He kept saying something, but all I could hear was 'house shoes' every 4th or 5th word.

Finally, Cash sat down, looked him right in the face and said " We brought juice boxes. For EVERYBODY." I have no idea what this statement had to do with the lack of 'house shoes' but it was enough to shut the other kid up, so apparently, Cash knew what he was doing.

So there you have it. My kids, bucking the pajama system and silencing naysayers with Capri Suns. I see a bright future ahead for us.

No comments: