Saturday, June 13, 2009

Way Too Early on Saturday Morning Video?




I've been at my mother-in-law's house all week, and I've watched nothing but VH1 Classic.

My husband has always had this theory that cable should be sold by the channel. If that were so, this would be the channel I'd buy. Well, and maybe Boomerang too. [ I watched Snorks, so should my kids, damnit!]

And it just so happens that this week, was maybe the most perfect week ever to stumble upon the 'ol classic. Each night they've showcased a different Rock N' Roll Picture Show.

I started watching on Tuesday -which was The Last Waltz. I love this movie. Very few places will you find Neil Diamond on the same stage with Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, and of course The Band. Nothing beats Van's performance of Caravan in this movie either, he can barely stand, yet his performance is awesome. I mean, how do you do that? I certainly don't know. Pretty sure I'd fall right of the stage.

Wednesday was Woodstock. I've probably seen this movie 50 times, but it never gets old. Even though its well, old.

Thursday was Ziggy Stardust, which kinda looks like I shot it myself, but with less irritation. I'm not sure David Bowie with a mullet and wearing a tiny jumpsuit could ever NOT be entertaining. Oh, and the music is awesome too. Though I must be truthful here. Fuse was showing a Bruce Springsteen concert at the exact same time. I may or may not have watched most of that instead.

But Friday. Oh Friday. Like a tasty little cupcake I've been hiding from my kids all week, Friday was The Song Remains the Same.
They could be performing the phonebook and this movie would still be fantastic. I mean as long as you keep the camera on Robert and you fast forward through that scary part where Jimmy Page ages backwards & forwards.

I couldn't have asked for a better week, being lulled into sleep by some of the greatest musical performances of all time. You know, I could have gotten a lot done while I was here. But l didn't. And if I had - i mean c'mon. look at what I would have missed. I'd be so much less of a person right now if I'd just done laundry instead.

So on that note, I'll leave you with two of my favorite Bob Dylan songs from the Last Waltz. Pretty sure he's the real one responsible for that fedora trend.

p.s. You know what The Classic is playing right now? Livin on a Prayer. Obviously, this week was meant to be. For me.

p.p.s this is my 200th blog post. Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the Blog Post anniversary. You are a great writer! And P.S. I am very upset as well that VH1 Classic and Boomerang are not available a s "basic channels". We got hooked 2 weeks ago when they gave them free as a week-long promotion. LET'S PROTEST.

Tough mama said...

Dude, we danced to this song at our wedding. Love the video.