Tuesday, October 9, 2007

High School Preschool

When I dropped the boys off at preschool yesterday morning the teacher was asking all the kids what they were going to be for Halloween.

Yet, somehow the conversation quickly switched over to High School Musical. All the kids were giddily discussing how they had just watched the sequel the night before. One little girl was waxing on and on, very poetically I might add, about all her favorite scenes.

And I thought to myself, seriously? High School Musical? Every kid in this class is four. Aren't they supposed to be discussing if blue is better than green or if chocolate milk is better than regular milk? My kids would rather have their heads shaved then sit through HSM. If what's on TV isn't about the alphabet or flatulence, they're not going to watch it.

It was kind of surreal, as if I was witnessing in person that first moment when my kids had no idea what TV show all the other kids were talking about. And that's OK, really, its bound to happen sometime. I just didn't think it would be in preschool. I mean, I remember trying to stay cool in 8th grade by keeping up with In Living Color, but I certainly don't remember any extensive discussions about the latest Letter People episode in kindergarten.

Sigh...just another sign that my babies are not babies anymore. Next thing I know they'll be begging me for IPods and video games and things I can't even imagine yet. I better enjoy all the Sesame Street and SpongeBob while I can....

No comments: